Located in the ancient land of Jejakbhukti, an integral part of Bundelkhand, this fort and town were of strategic importance during medieval times. The Kalinjar fort was Chandela stronghold from the 9th to the 15th centuries and remained invincible upto the time of the Mughals. Akbar finally conquered it in 1569 and gifted it to Birbal, one of the "nine jewels" of his court. From Birbal it went to the legendary Bundela warrior, Chhatrasal and thence to Hardev Shah of Panna before being captured by the British in 1812. The township of Kalinjar was also-once protected by ramparts pierced by four gateways, only three of which remain today — Kamta Dwar, Panna Dwar and Rewa Dwar. Dotted with remnants of the past, this historic fort is well worth a visit
Situated at a height of 700 ft. on the Vindhya ranges, this fort is accessible through seven gateways-the Alamgir Darwaza, Ganesh Dwar, Chauburji Darwaza, Buddha Bhadra Darwaza, Hanuman Dwar, Lal Darwaza and Bara Darwaza.
Within the fort are two palaces-the Raja Mahal and the Rani Mahal, as well as several other places of interest. These include Sita Sej, a small cave containing a stone bed and pillow once used by hermits; a reservoir known as Patal Ganga; Pandu-Kund, where water trickles from the horizontal crevices of stratified rocks; Buddha-Budhi taal, whose waters are believed to possess healing qualities; Bhairon-ki-Jharia or Manduk Bhairon; the Mrigdhara or Antelope’s spring situated within an inner chamber of the rampart, and Koito Birth, which is an important place of pilgrimage where lepers are believed to be cured.
This temple was built by the Chandela ruler Parmardi dev. In a niche by the rock-cut Swagger Roan pool, stands a colossal 18-armed image of Al Bhairav, the fearsome aspect of Lord Shiva.
How to Reach
Nearest airport is Khajuraho - 130 km.
The nearest railway station is Atarra : 36 km, on the Banda-Satna route, 57 km. from Banda Station.
It is linked by road to all important centres in the region with regular bus services.
172 km. Site of the now world-famous temples built between 950 AD and 1050 AD by the Chandelas. Only 25 temples survive, but they are masterpieces of architecture. Dedicated to the Lord Shiv, these temples celebrate the human from and man’s spiritual and physical aspects.
Celebrated in ballads and the scriptures for its natural beauty and closely associated with the epic Ramayan, Chitrakoot or "the hill of many wonders" is a hallowed centre of pilgrimage. It is believed to be the place where Lord Rama and Sita spent their 14 years of exile and where the Sage Atri and Sati Anasuya meditated. The holy town is set in sylvan surroundings on the banks of the River Mandakini, also known as the Payaswaini river. The riverside is lined with ghats and the town dotted with temples dedicated to several deities of the Hindu pantheon.
Mahoba is 140 km from Jhansi and associated with the Chandela kings who ruled over Bundelkhand between the 9th and the 11th centuries. The Chandelas, who are best remembered for the now world-famous temples they built at Khajuraho, were also great warriors.